Susan Loken is the founder of BTB Coaching and a USATF Level 1, Lydiard, RRCA certified coach. She is a 4-time US Master Marathon Champion and 3-time USA Olympic Marathon Qualifier. Susan is passionate about helping others improve their fitness and self-belief through running. She has coached hundreds of runners over the course of her career, both through her coaching business and during her five years as Program Director of the Non-Profit organization, Chances for Children. Now in her 50’s, Susan strives to take her running to the next level, while coaching and inspiring others along the way.
Hey there. I’m Susan Loken.
My adult life can essentially be broken into decades:
- In my 20’s: I was a career sales women, taking the west coast by storm. I sold shoes to companies like Nordstrom and quickly climbed up the career ladder.
- In my 30’s: I was a stay at home mom, raising 3 busy boys. Midway through, I experienced runner’s high for the first time.
- In my 40’s: I was a single mom, working hard in the office and on the asphalt. I set lofty running goals and knocked them out one-by-one.
- In my 50’s: I am still chasing the runner’s high and now teaching others how to do the same. I spend my days achieving personal goals, coaching others and chiseling away to create my perfect life.
- The butterfly effect states that a single occurrence, no matter how small, can change the course of the universe forever. My running career began at age 36 when I realized I had sacrificed my physical fitness, alone time and good friendships to spend time with my children. Attending that first running group altered the course of my life.
Since lacing up my first pair of sneakers, I’ve collected a few neat accomplishments: qualified for the USA Olympic Marathon Trials 3 times, been a 4-time USA Masters Marathon Champion, won the More Marathon in NYC, finished first in a marathon on my 50th birthday and–most importantly–helped other runners to believe in themselves.
This is my story.
I love running. I try to run every day.
I love nutrition. I try to prepare clean, fresh and colorful food every day.
My family is my world. I have an amazing husband, 3 handsome sons, 2 wonderful step-children, a lovely daughter-in-law, 2 adorable granddaughters, a 110-lb German Shepard and an 80-year-old Desert Tortoise.
I am fascinated by motivation, self-improvement and the power of positive thoughts. I try to learn something new each day, and then share my newfound knowledge and inspirational with others.
I am driven and future-thinking. My son aptly captured this at his elementary school Mother’s Day gathering: “My mom is always going; she’s always on the run. Going here and going there, my mom is always going.”
What I believe.
- Each of us has a few big truths that remain constant, throughout life’s twists and turns. These are mine.
- My favorite bible verse is Philippians 4:13: “ I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” I believe this statement with all my heart and soul.
- Honesty will always get you further than beating around the bush. I practice tough love and truthfulness because I care.
- Each of us is sent here with a unique life’s purpose. Mine is to teach, inspire and love those around me, to lead by example and encourage others to do the same.
- There is always something to be grateful for, even during the challenging times. At minimum, every experience offers us an opportunity to learn and to grow.
Other fun facts.
- I was born in San Jose, California. I currently live in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Confidence has never been an issue for me. My mom told me I could do anything, and never once have I doubted her.
- I prefer hugs over handshakes, hands down. More intimate.
- Phil Dumphey from Modern Family could be my brother. I have a one-track mind. This may be why I enjoy running so much.
- The best feeling in the world is seeing all of my kids under one roof making memories, even if they’re just laughing and giving each other a hard time.
- People tell me that my smile is contagious and that I light up the room when I walk in. I tell them that beauty radiates out from a joyful soul.